Monday, November 24, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING...


OK, I know what you're thinking. Most of you who have not been involved in pageants think that they are some kind of "ego trip" or something. I know that there are "bad" involved in pageants, but there is also a lot of "good". Not every contestant is a spoiled little brat, and not every mom is a "pageant mom". I personally have not, do not, and never will call myself a pageant mom, just because of the negativity that goes along with that stereotypical name. I do have a daughter that has been a contestant in several pageants, but I am a "mom" and only a mom.

Pageants are a great way for little girls to get to play dress-up and wear a Cinderella crown. They also help girls to overcome stage freight. You may not think that is important, but I remember in grammar school being petrified to stand up in front of my own classmates to give a book report or even read a paragraph out of our text book.

In my opinion, it helps overcome shyness, makes you a more confident individual in public and helps with public speaking. It boosts self confidence. It prepares you for victory, and it prepares you for defeat. It improves your posture and poise. It lets you earn rewards, like cash prizes, savings bonds, scholarships, trips and many more to help with college tuition. It gets you involved in community events and fundraisers. It can prepare or open doors to future career opportunities such as public speaking, modeling, broadcast journalism, dance, singing, movie, entertainment industry,etc. The list goes on and on.

You can participate in pageants without having to have "pageant dresses" or "pageant hair" or "pageant make-up". More and more pageants are going or a more natural look. The only things portrayed on television about little girl pageants are always the worst extreme case possible. There will always be some "bad" where ever your go, but don't overlook the "good". It can be a lot of FUN!

No comments: