Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Pageant "Bumps"




There will always be "bumps" in the perfect pageant world. We attended our first glitz pageant a couple of weeks ago and we had several.



First of all, I could not find a casual wear outfit so at the last minute I found someone to make my precious daughter one. She was going out of town and only had the weekend to create it so we did most of our chatting on the phone. Picked up outfit and it was very cute. I got home and laid it across the kitchen chair while I was trying to put together pageant photos, etc. in preparation for the upcoming pageant.



The next day I walked by the outfit and looked at my daughter and said "those pants look too big!" Well my daughter tried them on and guess what? They were way too big! I panicked. This was a Monday night and pageant weekend started Friday. I frantically called someone who I had a number for who did alterations. She said I could come by the next day. We went and tried on and had them taken in and the elastic in the top as well. I also had the alterations lady sew an extra ruffle and some beads on the swim suit I had, to dress it up more. Pick up outfits on Thursday and she tried on Casual Wear outfit and everything looked fine.



In the meantime, I was emailing the photographer who took the Glitz photos and she said she would be overnight them to me. Those arrived Wednesday. Thank goodness!



The evening dress we had, my daughter had worn once in a pageant about 7 months ago (did not realize ti had been THAT long). I knew it would be fine because it actually was a little too big when she wore it last. So didn't worry about that, why should I, right??



OK, arrived on Friday at hotel, got checked in and got all our pageant "stuff" into room and relaxed and waited to get spray tanned and some extensions put into her hair to make it a tad longer. Everything is going just fine......


Pageant day and competition is going on and we show up for our hair and make-up and that looked awesome! Tan looks great! We are having problems with extensions because my daughter has super thick hair and it is blunt cut and the extensions just didn't blend. Sooooo, grab some scissors and cut the extensions off! Problem solved.


Put evening dress on and put hoop skirt on and it seems a little long...what the heck!! Turns out that the hoop skirt I brought is not the same one we used the last time she wore the dress. It is a tad bit too long now and she is sort of tripping on it! THE SHOW MUST GO ON, so I just tell her to kick her feet out when she walks to keep from tripping over it. She almost had a melt-down over it just before she went on stage, but she stood tall and kicked and got through it beautifully!!!



Now Swim Wear is next. No problem. We go to put swimsuit on and the "darn" thing would not go any further than her hips! WHAT??!! The alterations lady that added the ruffle and beads did not take into consideration that the band needs to stretch to pull up the swimsuit, so in a frantic state I run in to get her H/M touched up and we had to cut the ban in the back of the swimsuit and literally inch the swimsuit up. To late to try to sew and her hair just covered the spot in the back so again... THE SHOW MUST GO ON.



We are in the final stretch now, the Casual Wear competition. We put the outfit on and it look great, still a little large but looks really good. During competition and her modeling, the pants started getting a little longer because of still being a bit too large.



All in all, my daughter had a GREAT time. It was MUCH MORE stressful on me than her, but we got through it and believe it or not she wants to do another one!!!!



So don't ever let anything bring you down or get the best of you during your pageant experience because it will all work out in the end and all you can do is improvise those little "bumps" in the road and more than likely no one else will ever know! LOL








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did she place? And what pageant was this?